The Los Angeles chapter of US Lacrosse released the 2012 All-American selections for the greater L.A. area on Tuesday, and it’s no surprise that L.A. County finalists Palos Verdes and Palisades were well represented.
Palos Verdes midfielder Zack Fixen was honored for the second consecutive year, while Palisades had two players — defender Chris Groel and attack Tyler Wenker — selected and coach Scott Hylen was named Coach of the Year.
- Chris Groel, Palisades: A junior defender who was credited with 104 ground balls and also had a goal and four assists.
- Tyler Wenker, Palisades: A senior midfielder who scored 30 goals and had 19 assists for the Dolphins, who won the City League and advanced deep in the playoffs.
- Dakota Randall, Mira Costa: A senior co-captain for the Mustangs, Randall led the attack for a young team that finished only 9-11 overall but qualified for the playoffs with a third-place finish in the Bay League. According to stats provided by LAS reader CostaLax22, Randall finished the season with 50 goals and 69 assists.
- Zack Fixen, Palos Verdes: Now a two-time All-American, Fixen led the Sea Wolves to the US Lacrosse Southern Section title game, scoring 64 goals and recording 30 assists.
- Jack Vonarb, Crespi: A senior attack who also played some midfield, Vonarb scored 54 goals in leading Crespi to an 11-4 record and a playoff berth. He was named Most Valuable Player in the Mission League.
- Matt Mantel, Harvard-Westlake: The senior anchored a young Wolverines team in goal, helping Harvard-Westlake to a 10-4 record and a second consecutive Mission League championship.
- Christopher O’Brien, Mira Costa
- Graham Francis, Palos Verdes
- Skylar Kim, Culver City
Coach of the Year
- Scott Hylen, Palisades: Led the Dolphins to a 16-4 overall record, including three playoff wins and a berth in the L.A. County title game, where Palisades fell to Palos Verdes.
Man of the Year
- Jerry Chabola, athletic director, Culver City HS
We’ll keep an eye out for the Orange County and Ventura County All-American selections and post when we get them.