As the spring season winds down, laxers are starting to look ahead to summer opportunities. One of them that popped into my inbox today was from Leverage Lacrosse and Mira Costa HS head coach Chris Jewett — a three-evening camp with Jon Torpey, head coach of NCAA Division I High Point University (North Carolina).
Here are the pertinent details:
- June 4, 5 & 6 (Monday-Wednesday) at Mira Costa High School in Manhattan Beach
- Open to players in grades 3 through 12
- Grades 3-7: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; Grades 8-12: 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Fee is $200; register by May 21
But that’s not the purpose of this camp. From Leverage:
- This Camp is designed for boys ages 8 to 18, from beginners to the most advanced player. Coach Torpey will focus on developing the entire player through drills, individual skill and game play.
- Camp provides the unique opportunity for a Southern California High School Lacrosse player to be evaluated and coached by a Division I college coach in a small camp setting.
- Middle school and youth players will learn valuable fundamental skills, drills and games from one of the brightest young coaches in D-I lacrosse.
- Bonus for Parents: Coach Torpey will hold a Q & A on the college recruiting process at the conclusion of camp. All players and parents participating in camp are invited.